It might be unexpected but the Brussels Jazz Orchestra (BJO) is not the kind of jazz orchestra that sticks to standards. We prefer to achieve the highest level by composing original music, creating unique arrangements and playing inventively as well as passionately.
In fact, it really is jazz with a dynamic orchestral sound, with a classic strength in which each musician is also a brilliant soloist. Call it an ‘orchestrated passion for jazz’ that incites BJO to create world-class music. Who comes to play with BJO depends on the project. In addition to BJO’s own productions, we work with well known musicians from all over the world. In that way, BJO has established a reputation at home and on relevant jazz stages abroad.
Founded in 1993 by Frank Vaganée, Serge Plume and Marc Godfroid, the Brussels Jazz Orchestra is recognised and subsidised by the Flemish Government since 1999. Brussels Jazz Orchestra is orchestra in residence at Flagey (Brussels).
BJO performed with Philip Catherine, Bert Joris, deFilharmonie, Tutu Puoane, Brussels Philharmonic, David Linx and Richard Galliano in own productions. BJO invited Maria Schneider (US), Kenny Werner (US), Dave Liebman (US), Dave Douglas (US), Gianluigi Trovesi (IT), Gustavo Bergalli (ARG), Norma Winstone (GB), McCoy Tyner (US), Maria João (PT), Kenny Wheeler (GB), Lee Konitz (US), Toots Thielemans and others.
BJO’s projects receive international acclaim:
- 2011 South African Music Award in the category Best Traditional Jazz Album for “Mama Africa”
- 2011 Zilveren Griffel (NL) for audiobook “Vliegen tot de hemel”. BJO composed and performed the original soundtrack.
- 2011-2012 Golden Globe, BAFTA, César and Academy Award (Oscar) for soundtrack The Artist.
- Live. (Radio 3 – 1997)
- The September Sessions. (W.E.R.F., 1999)
- The Music of Bert Joris. (W.E.R.F., 2002)
- Naked in the Cosmos – BJO plays the music of Kenny Werner. (Jazznpulz, 2003)
- Meeting Colours feat. Philip Catherine and Bert Joris. (Dreyfus – 2005). – **** review in Downbeat (2/2006)
- Countermove. (W.E.R.F, 2006)
- Dangerous Liaison. (DOM 2910 900 SP, 2006). Selected as best big band CD 2006 by www.allaboutjazz.com.
- Changing Faces. David Linx / BJO. (O+ Music, 2007)
- The Music of Michel Herr. (W.E.R.F., 2008)
- Ten Years Ago. Richard Galliano / BJO (MILAN, 2008)
- The 15th Anniversary Album. (De Werf, 2008)
- Mama Africa. Tutu Puoane / BJO (Saphrane – S 62612, 2010)
- Signs and Signatures. Bert Joris / BJO (W.E.R.F., 2010)
- Guided Dream. Dave Liebman/BJO (Provarecords, 2011)
- Institute of Higher Learning. Kenny Werner/BJO (Half Note Records, 2011)
- A Different Porgy & Another Bess. David linx en Maria João / BJO. (Naïve, 2012)
- BJO’s Finest – Live! (Saphrane, 2013)
- Wild Beauty. BJO featuring Joe Lovano (Half Note Records, 2013)